It is important to remember that to keep your independent insurance agency going, you need to continue building a lead generation engine. The key lies in the name itself, ‘engine.’ It gives itself a mental picture of something that keeps running. It is not a starter or ignition switch. It is the continuous movement and sustenance of moving forward.
The Most Common Tactic for Lead Generation
The primary source for building your lead engine lays within actions you should already be taking in your agency; working with your existing client base.
Obtaining Referrals through word of mouth from existing clients is always an efficient way for lead generation. You can give your insurance agency a healthy boost by giving your clients a good reason to pass your card, give a recommendation, or introduce you to people they know. This is done through:
- Service – providing superior customer service.
- Problem Solving – quickly and effectively resolving client issues.
- Expertise – being knowledgeable in the products or services you provide.
- Personalization – Reacting to client triggers like birthdays, anniversaries, and other milestones.
Build rapport with your clients. These attributes are the difference between an agency out for the sale and the one who becomes part of the family. Customer experience is crucial to lead generation.
Break the Mold with These Exciting Lead Generation Methods
There are other unique methods you can use to build your own lead engine.
Reaching out to captive agents
Captive agents are limited to products the insurance company offers and this is the big benefit to networking with them. They can send you names of those that are looking for a product they are unable to offer – and vice versa. Not all independent agencies are contracted with every insurance company. If you come across someone looking for XYZ insurance company, and you are not under contract with them, you can refer them to your captive colleagues. Build a network of captive agents to work with you and start your lead engine going.
Advertising your agency
You cannot bring in business unless you get your name out there. Staring at a phone and praying it will ring is not going to help you hit your numbers. The greatest thing about paid advertising is that you can track, through analytics, how much progress your advertisement is generating.
- Social media – Social Media is the established trend to get the word out about your insurance agency. Both Facebook and LinkedIn allow you to create targeted ads that will assist you in generating a lead stream. Have you already created Lookalike Audiences on Facebook or LinkedIn? Their algorithms find other prospects who share the habits and interests as your existing clients. Then, you can create a specific campaign targeting these audiences as a way to reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business because they’re similar to your best existing clients.
- Display Ads – Consist of ads on websites, apps or social media through banners or other formats made of text, images, or video. Create specific parameters for your display ads, you can choose or exclude some: sites, geographic areas, demographics or niche markets. It also allows for retargeting. With retargeting, you can put your ad in front of people who have already visited your website. This is a great way to reach out to people who have expressed interest in your agency, and who could still be considering buying insurance with you.
When constructing an email campaign, give it a strong level of personalization. First, know your buyer personas and their present needs and pain points. Then, build personalized emails that focus on offering a unique solution to them. If you have a blog, you can also share links to your best articles as a way to add value to your prospects. Your emails should always have a strong Call to Action and contact information for follow-up with your agency. Remember, it’s all about them not about your agency.
Consumers are busy and they don’t have time to fill out long forms or talk. But they like messaging. Using chatbots, you will offer immediacy and accessibility. Your agency will be able to provide insurance information and quotes to website visitors 24/7 while gathering the necessary info to follow up and close the sale. This helps save you time while also being convenient to the consumer.
Fairs and Expos
These are usually community-driven. They are a great way to get out and meet new people. Not only talking to visitors but an opportunity to begin a networking relationship with other businesses in your area. It is basically cold calling without the phone and with a more personal touch. These events include hiring events, small business expos; all local businesses within specific industries. Some events are free to attend, while some require a fee or the renting of a booth. You can contact your local city hall or community calendar about when these fairs take place.
Not all methods work for every independent insurance agent. It’s important to experiment with different channels and tactics to find out which funnel brings you more clients. Know that the wider you spread your net, the more fish you will catch. Don’t be afraid to try new and innovative methods to attract clients. With the advancement of technology, more ways are becoming available to grow your agency into something great.
Agentero powers independent insurance agencies like yours with technology to digitally serve their clients and optimize their cross-selling efforts. Explore how we can help you to:
- Deepen relationships with clients
- Generate more revenue per client
- Automate clients’ servicing